Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Barefoot horse and Easyboots

My horse's have always been barefoot. It is as nature intended. But there are times when some form of hoof protection is needed. Most of my rides take place in the desert, and the trails are two track jeep trails primarily composed of sand. But if I want to take my horse someplace to ride, and the terrain is rocky, I'm certainly not going to put on steel shoes for one ride! That's where the Easyboots come in. Easyboots are a life saver for the horse and for me. They may seem expensive at first glance (about $60 per boot), but they will last for years, so are cheaper in the long run than putting on steel shoes. They are also healthier for the horse than steel shoes!! Here is a picture of Whisper in her boots:




Whisper is wearing the new Easyboot Epic on her front hooves, and older pre-2005 Regular Easyboots on her rear hooves. Ther rear boots are spraypainted flourescent pink in case I loose them on the trail, I can find them easier; but so far, she has not lost a rear boot! The new Epics on the fronts, have gaiters which go around her pasturns, so they do not come off.


The boots are difficult to put on the first few times, untill they are a bit broken in, but once you get used to putting them on, they are easy. It takes me 10 minutes to clean feet and boot up all four hooves.


The company, Easy Care, Inc., is dedicated to the sound, barefoot horse, and they are very easy to work with, and they offer all kinds of customer service and will walk you thru any problems you may have with your boots. Their website is: http://www.easycareinc.com/

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I am so happy with my boots and it is so much better for the horse to remain barefoot, I just have to share my enthusiasum for their product. I have tried other boots in the past, but had rubbing issues. Imagine going on a hike with shoes that rub your heels - that's what the other boots did to Whisper. The Easyboots fit her well, and I have never had any rubbing issues with these.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to know the name of the song playing in your video with'Andi, doing TTOUCH. Maybe, it's called a "Trail Less Traveled".
I would love to know who sings it and where I could get a cd of the song.

Anonymous said...

The artist is MaryAnn Kennedy, and you can purchase any of her CD's thru her website:
http://www.maryannkennedy.com/index.htm