Sunday, April 27, 2008

First Beach Ride for 2008

My friend and neighbor, Sharon, and I loaded up our horsies and went to the beach at Lake Lahonton State Park! We were greeted at the gate to the park by a ranger, which meant the time had come where there is enough traffic for a ranger to man the gate. Oh well, time for Whisper to get used to seeing campers, boats, jet skis, and running children on the beach. There were campers at the parking spot we usually go to, so we went down a few more parking areas until we found one without campers that also had a pottie (I have a small bladder!).

When we pull up to our parking spot, there was a kid heading to the pottie with an AK-47 - I'm assuming it was a toy! But this IS Nevada! Whisper jumped out of Sharon's 3 horse slant load like it was a huge jump. She is used to a 2 horse straight load and backs out of that. She was so high headed I commented to Sharon that no way was I planning on riding a horse with a head that high. Last fall when we came, the lake had been deserted, now it was not. After saddling up and a bit of lunging to tighten up the girth, I mounted up and Sharon and I went down the beach and towards the water. We got to a ledge in the beach just before getting to the water, and both horses thought we were asking them to jump off the Grand Canyon. The ledge was 4" high. After a bit of convincing and clicking and carroting, I got past the ledge as did Sharon, and then we had to convince our horses to go into the water. Even tho they were practically swimming in it last fall, this was different with the activity around us. I didn't get any pics today as I had my hand-held camera and I wanted to keep both hands on the wheel. Here is a video I took at the same place last fall:




We walked up and down the beach, and went in and out of the water. Whisper did fine and was out front quite a bit, and went in the water in the opposite direction of her buddy when Sharon and Phinn decided to canter over a huge log. We actually spent quite a bit of time going in the opposite direction of Sharon and Phinn with never a balk or backwards step. She even went in the water on her own far away from Phinn. Once Whisper gets over her initial fear of going in the water, she actually enjoys it and likes to trot in and get in pretty deep. It is still a bit too cold for me to get wet, but my shoes did get sopping wet. Sharon and I played around for almost 2 hours before we decided the horsies were tired and we headed back to the trailer for the ride back home.

Whisper is certainly becoming my brave girl, and I am proud of her!

No comments: